gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Axiom-developer post from

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Axiom-developer post from
Date: 28 Jun 2004 11:47:15 -0400

Greetings!

Michael Koehne <address@hidden> writes:

> Moin Magnus Larsson,
>
>   The alternate way to produce a (cleaner) lisp core is :
>
>       (compile-file "foo.lisp" :system-p t)
>       (compile-file "baz.lisp" :system-p t)
>       (compiler::link '("foo.o" "baz.o") "saved_foo_gcl" nil "-lextralibs")
>
>   The benefit of this way, is that I could exactly tell, what object are
>   going into the new core, and I could tell extra libraries, e.g. to
>   interface X11, OpenGL, MPI or other libraries.

Just to clarify here that of course the disadvantage of this way is
that any work done on the heap in the existing session that one wants
to keep in the new image has to be explicitly supplied (in the 'nil'
argument) a second time.  Michael is correct that this is the only way
to link in extra libraries without the gcl source at present.  I have
some ideas for what I hope will be an optimal solution in 2.7.0 --
(si::slopen "-lfoo") (load "bar.o")(si::save-system "new") would
produce a new image linked against libfoo, containing bar.o
(presumably calling on libfoo), and preserving the heap state at the
point of calling save-system.  To accomplish this, we need to make use
of the bfd library to write relocation records and alter the linking
table of the running executable for preservation in the saved image by
unexec.

Take care,