gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:47:50 +1000

Hi Camm.

| Greetings!  I've taken a stab at some verbiage n the release notes
| page:
|
| http://people.debian.org/~camm/GCL_2_6_2_tests.html
|
| I'm writing this as always too quickly, late at night, being short on
| time.  I'd greatly appreciate suggestions and comments/edits.
| Specifically, I want to make sure we don't overstate the condition of
| GCL, yet I feel we need to state clearly where possible and fair GCL's
| strong points to help ameliorate the prevailing somewhat negative
| impression of our project.

Thanks for this.  Here are my comments.

1. Should these items be restricted to Linux or Unix:

  The stuff about 64 bit images and platform support? (untested on Windows)

  Heap scaling and unnecessary internal garbage collection? (SGC only or
both)

  Profiling? (I haven't ever tried this, shock, horror)

  Speed on Windows is definitely below Linux.

2. The glossary wrapping is messy when the browser width is too small.

3. I'll try and replicate the benchmarks on Windows, but can't say when.  I
was shocked at the speed results especially in comparison with CMUCL!  (Even
accounting for the usual caveats of benchmarking - blah, blah, blah!!!)  It
might be worthwhile looking into a GCL entry at:

  http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

Cheers

Mike Thomas.