gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: GCL info docs and ANSI CL spec

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL info docs and ANSI CL spec
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:55:24 -0400

Hi Camm,

> * Camm Maguire <address@hidden> [2004-06-15 12:03:45 -0400]:
>
> Sam -- before one goes on and does something so intrusive as to bother
> the family of the deceased, don't we have to ask ourselves what
> exactly is the problem here?

The spec itself is (C) by ANSI, sold for $$$, and will not be released
under a liberal license without an act of the US Congress.

The final committee draft bears no (C) notices and no license, and
_should_ be in the PD, i.e., placing drafts in the PD is common practice
in a standardization process and some former committee members say that
they _intended_ to place the draft in the PD.

Now, imagine FSF being sued for copyright violation by GCL...

> The spec to my knowledge is public domain

This would have been very nice - it it were true.
Do you have any evidence to support this claim?

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Daddy, what does "format disk c: complete" mean?