gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on Cygwin

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on Cygwin
Date: 09 Jun 2004 16:18:40 -0400

Greetings!

Jim Babcock <address@hidden> writes:

> Mike Thomas wrote:
> > Jim Babcock wrote:
> >> Most Windows programs work fine without this; gcl is the only one
> >> I've seen which didn't see the paths pre-converted.
> > Must be a problem with your Cygwin setup.  For example, on mine:
> > $ /C/cvs/stable/gcl-2.6.1/unixport/saved_gcl.exe
> > GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.1 CLtL1   May 27 2004 13:30:35
> > Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
> > Binary License:  LGPL
> > Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
> > Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
> > Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
>
> Running ${gcldir}/bin/gcl yields the output I mentioned above. Running
> saved_gcl directly seems to work.

Am somewhat confused here -- did you get past the issues in your
earlier note and produce a working saved_gcl?  If/when this happens,
we'd like to commit the .h file at the very least.

> One interesting observation. If I run GCL no a local console, I get
> Windows-style console input (no ^U, overwrite mode,
> command history doesn't let you go back to a blank line.) If I run it through
> ssh, ^U works but arrow keys are not
> interpretted at all. Neither makes for a usable interactive mode.

If you have readline on your cygwin, gcl can be compiled to use this.
Full bash-like editing and command completion works out of the box.

> But all that aside, gcl doesn't do what I *really* want which is run
> non-interactively. All I want in a lisp
> implementation is a compiler that acts like cc and produces either object or
> C files. Gcl recognizes just about nothing
> passed on the command line, not even -h or -v, and it always starts
> interactively.

Check out the -batch, -eval, and -compile toplevel switches in the
info documentation.

> >> Tried it, and the amount of spam in the output was simply rediculous.
> > I haven't noticed any spam in either CLISP or Corman.  I believe that the
> > beautiful candelabra motif in CLISP can be turned off with a system variable
> > in the CLISP initialisation file.
> >
> >> Plus it doesn't make native binaries.
> > Corman does, and a lot more besides.
>
> Unfortunately, it is not suitable for working on Free projects, as any
> other developers who wanted to contribute would have to buy a license.
> Besides which, I'm extremely wary of closed-source development tools; I
> have yet to use a C compiler without running onto at least one compiler
> bug which I had to find myself.

Agreed.

Take care,