gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] C library support [ was Re: BLAS and GCL ]

From: Dennis Decker Jensen
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] C library support [ was Re: BLAS and GCL ]
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:41:24 +0000

Camm writes:
> The biggest complaint about lisp is the (lack of) library support, and
> the idea of reimplementing everything in lisp appears to me to be a
> definite non-starter.  Were such a modular approach to external C libs
> attainable, one could dispense with separate support for xgcl, pargcl,
> etc. and greatly simplify future maintenance.

That would really rock!!  I know ASDF-install is very dynamic,
cool and useful, but having all C libs at your fingertips
with more ease than anything else is not only cool, it is a
killer feature.

Regarding readtable and parsing, I think it has been used
before for conversion of Common Lisp to Dylan code or even
for XML parsing, but I cannot remember where I heard it.

Henry G. Baker wrote a famous paper about a similar technique in
"Pragmatic Parsing in Common Lisp":

http://home.pipeline.com/~hbaker1/Prag-Parse.html

Ciao,

Dennis Decker Jensen