gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] make-array rank check

From: Michael Koehne
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] make-array rank check
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 00:23:50 +0200

Moin Camm Maguire,

> 1) It would appear that as 2.6.2 has already entered the final testing
>    phase, that we should not backport into the stable branch, as there
>    are doubtless many other such instances which we have not yet
>    discovered.  I think we need to close the chapter on 2.6.2 as
>    quickly as possible, and move attention to the 2.7.x branch.  Any
>    objections?

  I think there is a difference between a mamuth patch like my
  pathname.d patch providing NEW functionality, or a simple one
  liner adding a constrain to prevent a core dump in OLD functions.

  The new functions should go into 2.7.x, while bug critical fixes
  (e.g. core dump or other memory damage) of old function should
  not only apply to head but also to last stable. e.g. in a form
  of a cumulative debian patch over 2.6.2.orig.tar.gz - There is'nt
  any internet server based on GCL, part of Debian, yet. Else Debian
  must fix/backport memory damages, as every memory damage might
  be exploited as a security problem.

> 2) Am leaving the ansi-test code alone for the moment, as I am more
>    comfortable when Paul makes edits in this area.  But beyond this,
>    should we not just increase the rank limit to 1024?

  this should be delayed till 2.7.x - take a look at this code.

  Removing this limit could mean to rewrite the complete array
  code from scratch, or at least to refactor arrays and related
  stuff. I dont know how many other critical bugs are in array.c,
  but refacturing array code might be as much work as refacturing
  pathname code was.

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:address@hidden             UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:2.4.22'UNZ+1'