gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] CLC post pathnames ...

From: Dennis Decker Jensen
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] CLC post pathnames ...
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:38:45 +0000

Camm writes:
> This is great!  I know we have quite a ways to go before we
> can compile clc libraries, but, to your understanding, is your
> script working short of this?  This has been a long standing
> item on my todo list.  I will endeavor to install this with the
> Debian package, and close the Debian bug filed on this issue.

It (clc) depends on load-time-value, physical and logical
pathnames in order to work properly.  The script was inspired
by similar scripts for CLisp and SBCL.

If you read through the script you'll notice a work around
for load-time-value that I have no idea if will work, but once
pathnames (physical and logical) are more or less up to date
(Thank you for taking a stab at this Michael!) -- yes -- clc
should just work out of the box with that script.

The load-time-value work around which I don't trust:

> > install-clc)
> >     echo $progname Installing clc ...
> >     if test ! -f $pristine_image; then
> >             mv -f $image $pristine_image
> >             cp -f $pristine_image $image
> >     fi
> >     if test -x $gcl; then
> >             $gcl -batch -eval "
> > (handler-case
> >   (progn
> >     ;; A temporary condition until _after_ GCL version 2.6.2
> >     (in-package :common-lisp)
> >     (unless (fboundp 'load-time-value)
> >             (defun load-time-value (obj) obj)
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just like identity, but without the load-time semantics...
Bad and not very predictable, but let us see what happens.

> >             (export (find-symbol \"LOAD-TIME-VALUE\")))
> >
> >     (in-package :common-lisp-user)
> >     (load
> > \"/usr/share/common-lisp/source/common-lisp-controller/common-lisp-controller.lisp\")
> >
> > ;;;; XXX This fails currently due to obsolete pathnames
> > ;;;; XXX ANSI standard pathnames is needed to continue work.
> > ;;;; XXX There may be potential problems with packages,
> > ;;;; XXX but may just be a side-effect from pathname errors...
> >     (in-package :common-lisp-controller)
> >     (init-common-lisp-controller \"$gcl_clc\" :version 3)

Ciao,

Dennis Decker Jensen

"The number of UNIX installations
has grown to 10, with more expected."
 -- The Unix Programmer's Manual, June 1972