gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Building GCL 2.6.1 on FreeBSD 4.8

From: Chris Hall
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Building GCL 2.6.1 on FreeBSD 4.8
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:24:01 -1000

I'm trying to build GCL 2.6.1-37 on FreeBSD 4.8, so I try:

cjh$> ./configure --prefix=$HOME --enable-readline --enable-ansi
cjh$> make
"makefile", line 19: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
cjh$>

Lines 16 - 22 of makefile
-------------------( start
GCL_DVI=gcl-tk.dvi gcl-si.dvi gcl.dvi
GCL_HTML=gcl-si_toc.html gcl-tk_toc.html gcl_toc.html

-include makedefs  <-- Line 19

BINDIR  = bin
-------------------( end

I've saved and looked at the configure standard and error output, and
see no obvious problems - FreeBSD seems to be correctly detected and
provided for.  (The configure standard and error output is attached).

Doing the exact same configure from the same tarball on Debian produces
the same lines in the makefile, and the build works wonderfully.

So it seems that make on BSD behaves differently than on GNU/Linux.  I
don't have root on the BSD box (that is why --prefix=$HOME), so I can't
change the system-wide make files, though I have looked at
/etc/defaults/make.conf and see nothing specific to includes there.

I *have* been able to build other GNU packages on my BSD account, so I
find this somewhat puzzling.

Have I overlooked some obvious step in building on FreeBSD?  I can't
seem to find any BSD-specific info in any of the readme files.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mahalo (thanks) and Aloha,
+Chris

--
Trusting to escape scrutiny by fixing the public gaze upon the
exceeding brightness of military glory, that attractive rainbow that