gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Server sockets with GCL?

From: Chris Hall
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Server sockets with GCL?
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 02:07:10 -1000

<address@hidden> writes:

>>Greetings!
>>
>>A few observations regarding sockets in GCL:
>
> (a lot of interesting and useful stuff snipped)
>
> It is now clear to me that the level of familiarity with GCL's history
> and the physical source file dependencies required to make these changes
> is well above my current expertise.  Although I might be able to make the
> code work for my platform and distro, I don't have the means to test that
> I haven't broken one or more implementations on other platforms, nor to
> generalize the build and configuration process.

Yikes!  Now I'm feeling a bit daunted, as well. ;-)

> Regarding the issues of fork() and threads, yes, I would expect a general
> implementation of threads to be necessary to make server sockets as useful
> as in other languages (or maybe as in other Lisp implementations, as you
> note).

Perhaps an asynch solution based on select() would meet those needs as
well?  (Please see related thread.)

> However, in the particular situation I face at the moment, my "server" need
> not be able to (and in fact, cannot currently) serve multiple concurrent
> clients.  Thus, I would be using the server socket only with one client at
> a time.
>
> My main need for now is a function to listen "passively" and produce
> the same sort of thing produced by SI::SOCKET.  I'm not particular whether
> the form I employ is a keyword-based option on SI::SOCKET or another function
> like ACCEPT-SOCKET-CONNECTION altogether.
>
> Tom Johnson

Since we can connect to netcat (or other listeners) from GCL, I've been
sporadically trying to figure out how to connect something to the 'other
side' of netcat and thus get netcat to pass through to GCL.  No luck so
far, but personally I'd definitely like to get a somewhat usuable hack
like that going ASAP.

Maybe I'll try using Python for this, though that seems a bit *too*,
well, kludgy. :-/

But hey, if it works and is transparent, i.e, GCL neither knows nor
cares, why not?

--
Be humble for you are made of dung. Be noble for you are made of
stars.