gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: sibling call optimization

From: Jim Wilson
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: sibling call optimization
Date: 06 May 2004 14:53:00 -0700

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 08:00, Camm Maguire wrote:
> Thanks!  -fno-inline-functions restored the sibling call.  Is this
> 'inline overrides sibling' behavior intentional?

I seriously doubt it, but it is hard to say without a testcase.  It
would be reasonable to submit a bugzilla bug report if you find a
testcase.

>  Is there any way
> that I can write the call itself in a way to prevent inlining in that
> instance?  I.e. to let the callee be inlined elsewhere, but to prevent
> it where I want the sibcall?

__attribute__ ((noinline)) will prevent it from being inlined
everywhere.  Since I don't know why inlining and sibcalls aren't working
together, I can't suggest a work around for this specific problem.

> I noticed there was a long thread about defining some attribute and/or
> warning regarding sibling call optimization a few years ago.

I don't recall that discussion, so I can't comment on it.  It would
probably be reasonable to have something like -Wsibcall patterned after
the existing -Winline option.  I don't know of anyone planning to do
anything like that though.