gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: SLIME

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: SLIME
Date: 06 May 2004 16:31:00 -0400

Greetings!

Eric Merritt <address@hidden> writes:

> --- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Greetings, and thanks for the reference!
> >
> > 1) These are not part of the ANSI standard, correct?
>
>  True,  they were reject from the standard.
>
> > 2) That being said, I think the public doamin
> > implementation cited
> > will likely compile as is under ansi gcl.  Perhaps
> > we could distribute
> > as a module like the tk interface?
>
>  It doesn't compile out of the box, but it probably
> wouldn't take an experienced lisper long to get it up
> and running under ansi gcl.
>
>  As for distributing it, I have no idea if the fsf
> considers public domain compatable with the gpl/lgpl.
> If they don't have a problem with it then distributing
> it would not be a problem either.

Public domain is completely GPL compatible.

> > 3) Any progress on the sibling call front?

OK, I've been testing a bit, as you've likely seen from the mails.
The patch is ready to go in if/when 1) I can trace down the ANSI C
stack overflow error reporting difficulty and 2) some kind of sane
default behavior is chosen.  For example, inlining functions, turned
on in -O3, apparently interferes with sibcall optimization.  So should
we default to -O3 -fno-inline-functions?  Even if we discover a
superior way to write the C code to disable an inlining in a particular
call instance, how do we decide what is best?  Perhaps the simplest is
to implement the no-line lisp declaration directly as a gcc function
attribute where gcc is available, contenting ourselves with per
function rather than per call inlining decisions?

>  So I guess the answer is this, tail call optmization
> is usefull and desirably. However, you can do with out
> it. So if it can be implemented in a reasonable amount
> of time with a resonable set of resources its worth
> doing otherwise it may be best to put it on hold until
> more resources are available.

Agreed.  But apparently we can't have everything at once.

Take care,