gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: SLIME

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: SLIME
Date: 03 May 2004 10:12:42 -0400

that has been posted to comp.lang.lisp as well.

Greetings, and thanks!

Helmut Eller <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > What is involved in getting a gcl backend in?
>
> A minimal backend requires:
>
> 1) a socket interface to open server sockets and a way to wrap client
>    sockets into a stream.  I once tried to write a GCL backend for
>    SLIME and already failed here.  IIRC, GCL's socket interface uses
>    some sort of callbacks and I was unable to adapt it to our needs.
>    I think it would be the best if GCL adopts Franz' socket interface.
>    OpenMCL has done that and this was a great help.  Their interface
>    is quite nice and doesn't need any callbacks.

Is this interface simply documented anywhere?  Don't have access to
Franz lisp.  We've been discussing our socket interface recently, and
perhaps now would be the time to solicit opinions on what an optimal
interface would look like.  I take it the Franz interface also suits
the web/mod_lisp people well?

> 2) an interface to the debugger.  This basically means a way to
>    produce the list of backtrace frames and a function to print frames
>    nicely.  Functions to access the variables in a frame would be nice
>    but are not absolutely necessary.

Not a problem here.

> 3) gray streams.

?? What are these?

> This should be enough for the most basic functionality, like
> evaluating, simple debugging and apropos.  For more comfort like
> M-. and compiler note trapping we need more interfaces, but this can
> be added later.
>
> > Is anyone available to
> > help with this, as I'm a bit tied up at the moment.
>
> I'd be happy to answer questions, but I don't like to write C code for
> GCL (which is probably needed).

OK, then perhaps we have the basis for a dialog, as I'd feel
comfortable with the C/GCL coding side.

Take care,