gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Using sockets in gcl

From: Chris Hall
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Using sockets in gcl
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 20:50:33 -1000

Marc Mertens <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
>      I want to use sockets to communicated with a server application
> using gcl (to add support for gcl to Jabberwocky). I found some
> references (see http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=1610)
> that sockets where supported and I think can use si::socket to connect
> to a server given a port and address but I don't know how I can use
> the result returned by si::socket to create a read/write stream on
> this socket. I Any help is really appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>

> Marc

Aloha - you aren't alone in this, a couple of us have been trying this
stuff out.

In a word, 'si::socket' returns a two-way stream that you can read-line
From and print/format to.  Below is a snippet that Camm Maquire sent
recently sent in response to a question on the list.  It shows the very
basic stuff needed to demonstarte that things are working - I've tried
it on Debian Linux, and someone else did on Windows, and it worked for
each of us.

If it helps any, a lot of the rest of the socket code seems to have been
developed in order to support the Tk portion of Tcl/Tk, which can be
used by GCL for GUI apps.

Good luck!
+Chris