gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] STABLE, WINDOWS: read_fasd1() and alloc_relblock()

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] STABLE, WINDOWS: read_fasd1() and alloc_relblock()
Date: 22 Apr 2004 17:11:21 -0400

Greetings!  Forgot this question:

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Will try this later.
>
> | Separately, it appears from Vadim's email that I've been mistaken in
> | thinking gcc 3.3.3 was the latest official gcc on mingw, in which case
> | chasing down this problem now would be critical.  Is gcc 3.3.3 on
> | mingw only a 'candidate'?  If so, the bug is still important, but not
> | so crtitical as to further delay the release IMHO if the information
> | gleaned from the above steps reveals a time consuming job ahead of us.
>
> In principal I agree except that the problems with 3.3.1 appear to be just
> as great as with 3.3.3 if we expect to make a release which passes all the
> tests - there is (at least one) something fundamentally wrong and we haven't
> found it yet.

Agreed.

> Incidentally, I note that there are many functions in "h/cmpinclude.h" which
> include a return value type but not the types of their arguments.  Thinking
> that the path coercion functions might be at the heart of the Maxima path
> problem I changed the relevant declarations but to no avail:
>
> object coerce_to_pathname(object);
> /* object default_device(); */
> object merge_pathnames(object,object,object);
> object namestring(object);
> object coerce_to_namestring(object);
>
> However there are many functions still to go and I am curious whether you
> think that this might be confusing the compoiler or linker?

I doubt this, expecially given David's results that gcc version in the
compilation of gcl itself is of no consequence.  This is the 'old'
standard method of function prototype declaration, and is explicitly
supported in the current C standard as a less restrictive prototype
declaration option to my understanding.

Take care,