gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] gcl 2.6.2

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] gcl 2.6.2
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:36:58 +1000

Hi Tim.

| If you have some notes about how to set up the win environment I'd
| find it most useful. We're setting up an open source lab at work
| and I plan to set up one Windows machine to try to get GCL running.

Good to see.  Please find below the contents of the file "readme.mingw",
available from the GNU Common Lisp CVS repository (stable branch).

I suggest you obtain gcc version 3.3.1 and binutils 2.14.90 as these seem to
work best with Windows GCL in it's current state.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.

BUILDING NATIVE WIN32 GNU COMMON LISP FROM CVS

The preferred build host system for the Mingw32 compiler is MSYS.

I use gcc version 3.3.1 and binutils 2.14.90, but earlier versions
back to gcc 2.95 are OK provided that you remove the
"-fno-zero-initialized-in-bss" flag in "h/mingw.defs" before running
"configure".

Also note that gcc 3.3.3 does NOT work; likewise binutils 2.13.*

BUILDING GCL USING MSYS AS THE HOST

BUILD TOOLS

- Mingw32 Version 2 Windows native gcc:
    http://www.mingw.org/

- MSYS Mingw build environment, including the MSYS DTK
    http://www.mingw.org/

- Source code for GCL.
    http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gcl/

It is a good idea to keep up to date with Mingw32 and MSYS.  There
are usually updates for various parts of these packages to be found
on the web site.   Pleas note the version issues with gcc and binutils
mentioned above.

Avoid using MSYS 1.10 RC3 as it has some annoying bugs. RC2 is fine
as I write in January 2004.

SHORT SETUP NOTES

- Install Mingw32 and MSYS using the instructions at those sites.

DETAILED SETUP NOTES

- Start by installing the latest version of MinGW2.exe.

- By looking at the dates and version numbers appended to the other
  packages on the download page, get any versions of gcc 3.2, binutils,
  mingw-runtime, and w32api that are later than the Mingw2 package.

- Go to the top level Mingw32 installation directory - the one in which you
  can see "bin", "lib" etc

- Extract those other packages in that directory eg:

  tar xzf rumpty-dumpty.tar.gz

- Remove the Mingw version of "make" from the bin directory - it has serious
  bugs and will not work properly for most tasks including building GCL and
  Maxima.  We will be using the MSYS version.

- Get MSYS and install it - follow the instructions - subscribe to the
  mailing list and read the archives.

- In the MSYS directory install the "msysDTK-1.0.0-alpha-1.tar.gz" package
  which gives you cvs, ssh, rlogin, etc.

BUILDING

- Change to your GCL source directory eg:

  cd /c/cvs/gcl

- You are now ready to configure GCL:

  ./configure --prefix="c:/gcl" > configure.log 2>&1

  Change the prefix directory as required for your final installation path.
  I find it helpful to redirect output from "configure" and "make" into log
  files for debugging and checking.

- Check the log.

- Type:

        make >& make.log

- The "saved_gcl.exe" should turn up eventually in the unixport directory.
You
  can try it out directly by typing:

        ./unixport/saved_gcl.exe

  at the command prompt.

- To install:

        make install >& install.log

  It is necessary to install GCL before building Maxima.

- The batch file "gclm.bat" can be used to make a Windows desktop
  shortcut.

- BFD fasloading, Stratified Garbage Collection (SGC) readline and GCL-TK
  don't work under Windows.  The configuration options above provide a
  "traditional" GCL executable which will build the current CVS version of
  Maxima.  The BFD option will depend on someone with knowledge of BFD and
  PE-COFF linking fixing some problems with the BFD library - I am slowly
  absorbing the info needed, but we really need input from an expert.  My
  inclination is to stick with custom relocation as BFD is less efficient.

Mike Thomas, 22 March 2004