gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2.....

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2.....
Date: 13 Apr 2004 11:04:26 -0400

Greetings!

Mike Thomas <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Vadim/Camm.

> >> Argh!  I was banking on the hope that the ansi-crash and this bug
> >> were manifestations of the same thing.  Are we all sure we are using
> >> the same carefully balanced compiler optimization options?
>
> I just used a standard CVS stable GCL set of optimisation settings
> with gcc 3.3.1/binutils 2.14.90.
>

> >>  Mike, can
> >> you reproduce?
>
> And yes, I reproduced it.
>
> I just put some print statements in the offending function and got a
> similar problem in a different location as follows:

> ;        - Compiling source file
> ;          "c:/cvs/head/maxima/src/numerical/slatec/xerprn.lisp"
> "binary-gcl"
> ""
> #p"binary-gcl"
> #p""
> "binary-gcl"
> NIL
> ""
> "binary-gcl/"
> "numerical/slatec/xerprn"
> #p"binary-gcl/"
> #p"numerical/slatec/xerprn"
> ""
> NIL
> ""
> Compiling c:/cvs/head/maxima/src/numerical/slatec/xerprn.lisp.
> End of Pass 1.
> End of Pass 2.
> OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=0 (No runtime error checking), Space=0, Speed=3
> Finished compiling binary-gcl/numerical/slatec/xerprn.o.

> start address -T 105c5248 Finished loading
> binary-gcl/numerical/slatec/xerprn.o

A few thoughts:

1) It looks like the problem starts here, is there a carriage return
   at the front of the filename?

2) Can you please run with (setq si::*notify-gbc* t)?  The erratic
   nature of the problem indicates that it is possible that some windows
   specific code is holding on to a pointer to a relocatable piece of
   memory across a GBC call.  I had suspected fix_filename, but it
   does not appear that there are any allocs in there.

3) Is the problem always triggered on a source .lsp file when
   compiling, or does it ever first appear when loading a .o?

4) Is the gcc 3.3.3 maxima compile issue gone?  If so, my
   understanding is that this is the last of the three original
   problems, 2 of which were ansi test failures in head and stable,
   and one of which was maxima compile failure with gcc 3.3.3.

Thanks again for all your wok on this.

Take care,