gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL GPL/LGPL license

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL GPL/LGPL license
Date: 08 Apr 2004 12:48:58 -0400

Greetings!

Eric Merritt <address@hidden> writes:

> --- Mike Thomas <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> > Hi Eric.
> >

>   I am not so much interested in closed source apps
> and restrictive licenses as I am in having the options
> concerning the license I distribute under.

To this end, any *GPL compatible* license is permitted for any code
you wish to distribute on top of a GPL'ed binary GCL -- you don't have
to GPL you stuff as well.  I.e. it could be BSD, like AXIOM.  Its just
that the source must be made available, which appears to be your
intent anyway.

>  On a side note, is removing bfd and unexec a matter
> of  modifing the configs and makefile or more a matter
> of modifing the gcl source. Will gcl be broken by
> default without these libraries?

BFD and readline can be ommitted by configure options.  We have no
work around at present for unexec, but will happily incorporate such a
work around submitted by any interested party wishing to construct
it.  I'm not personally motivated to do so at present, as the GPL
binary is not holding back any working project on GCL of which I am
aware.

> Thanks,
> Eric

Take care,