gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] EXPEXPAN problem

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] EXPEXPAN problem
Date: 19 Mar 2004 07:33:41 -0500

Greetings!  The following versions of lengthenvec and make-init-vector

(defun lengthenvec (v n)
  (if (and (array-has-fill-pointer-p v) (adjustable-array-p v)) (if (>= n
(array-total-size v)) (adjust-array v (* n 2) :fill-pointer n) (progn (setf
(fill-pointer v) n) v))
    (replace (make-array n :fill-pointer t) v)))

(defun make-init-vector (n val) (make-array n :initial-element val
:fill-pointer t))

(in macros.lisp.pamphlet) cut out the lion's share of the gc problem
on this compile.  30min -> 7 min on my box.  There is still some gc
churning in cons pages due to many calls to 'list' with small n.  One
can likely improve things further with an appropriate (declare
(:dynamic-extent ...)) in the right place -- gcl will allocate such
lists on the C stack (very fast).

The above timings also incorporated another modification/performance
improvement to gcl, so the actual improvement over the present
situation is likely greater.  This is a replacement of the single
(declare (integer count)) in gcl_seqlib.lsp with (declare (fixnum
count)).  After a bit more testing I intend to commit this.  I first
want to figure out why it got there in the first place.

Take care,