gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] si::info works again on Windows

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: [Gcl-devel] si::info works again on Windows
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:37:02 +1000

Hi all.

SI::INFO works again on Windows as checked in today in HEAD and 2.6.1
branches.

I believe that there is a deeper problem READ-LINE which has remained hidden
since at least the end of 2002.

On Windows READ-LINE at the console doesn't wait for input; it just sees the
end of the line after the (READ-LINE) and returns an empty string. I believe
this may be CR related and I intend to look into it before Monday, time
permitting.

If there is some text immediately after the (READ-LINE) it returns that
text.

Apart from the final part of the line1/line2 example in the entry on
READ-LINE in the ANSI spec, READ-LINE does superficially appear to conform
with the docs (Try (si::info "read-line") for more info if you'll pardon the
recursiveness and irony of it all.)

Given the longevity of this problem, the fact that no-one appears to have
noticed it in that entire period of time and the fact that read.d is a
complex piece of code, I am inclined to leave it until after 2.6.1 unless I
manage to feel comfortable with the problem over the week-end.

The main thing which is scaring me off is whether a change to CR handling in
read.d will affect GCL with respect to binary stream input - I am uncertain
as to whether those functions ie READ, READ-CHAR, READ-LINE etc are meant to
be text only or not.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.