gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on single board computer

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on single board computer
Date: 11 Mar 2004 12:05:39 -0500

Greetings!

Andreas Yankopolus <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm interested in running compiled Lisp applications on an XScale
> single board computer using GCL. Which files from GCL must actually
> reside on the target machine in order to do this? I'm hoping to reduce
> storage requirements as much as possible.

For lisp applications built on top of GCL on platforms with native
object relocation, no GCL files need be installed.  This includes ARM
and x86.  On platforms using dlopen, GCL itself must be installed only
if one wants to compile new system images -- only cmpinclude.h is
needed if one wants to compile only lisp object modules, and no files
are needed if one does not intend to use the compiler.

> It does not look possible to cross-compile GCL since GCL appears to
> compiles itself at one stage. Instead, I think I need to NFS mount a
> directory containing the ARM development tools and compile on the
> target platform.

You might be interested to know that .debs for GCL/arm are available
from the Debian repository.  I myself have used these to produce arm
.debs for axiom, so I know it can be done.  Tim Daly, the lead axiom
developer, wanted to run axiom on his pda at one point.

Take care,