gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Interpretation of random tester output

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Interpretation of random tester output
Date: 03 Mar 2004 11:03:01 -0500

Greetings!

"Paul F. Dietz" <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire wrote:
>
> > OK and loading interpreted, but the results so far seem the same.  I
> > have maybe one or two different-results errors, which (I think) I can
> > track down fairly easily, and a handful of optimized-form-error errors
> > which I cannot reproduce.  Is the best thing for me to do to set a
> > break when this kind is set in random-int-form.lsp?  Isn't there a way
> > to trap and report the eval error like is done with the compilation error?
>
> Ok, I'll add that.
>
> I am wondering if there's a difference between evaluating the forms down
> inside the random test driver vs. evaluating them from the command line
> (or something).
>
> If you are evaluating them by reentering them to lisp, be sure to
> declare *s1* through *s8* to be special (these symbols in the cl-test
> package are already declared special if you stay in that package.)

I think this is it.  At least I could reproduce one when I defvar'ed
these. (load "gclload1.lsp", defvar, eval and compile forms)

Paul, I want to thank you for this very helpful tool, and your
responsive explanations.  Of course I'm being a bit lazy as I could
study the code itself and answer many of my questions, but I'm short
on time right now.  If I might put to you one more -- I take it the
algorithm goes through 2000 runs looking for random failures in a
fashion which does not depend on what might have been found earlier in
the run.  The next 2000 -- are these limited to searching a subspace
based on errors found in the first set, or is one still covering new
ground in these tests as well?  When is one done boiling down errors
found in the first set?

Take care,