gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] ["Gordon Shaw

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] ["Gordon Shaw
Date: 26 Feb 2004 11:10:42 -0500

Greetings!

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> $ /c/cvs/head/scm/scm
> SCM version 5d9, Copyright (C) 1990-2002 Free Software Foundation.
> SCM comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `(terms)'.
> under certain conditions; type `(terms)' for details.
> ;done loading c:\cvs\head\slib\require.scm
> ;done loading c:\cvs\head\scm\Transcen.scm

I'd like this in general, but for us

1) We have no coherent copyright statement, but rather a somewhat
   large collection of statements pertaining to people who may no
   longer exist in this plane :-)

2) I suppose the warranty statement is a good idea, but it seems
   rather unpleasant to emphasize it like this.

3) I like the simple free software designation, leaving the details to
   some other function, but
        a) It makes modifying the banner more complicated for programs
   using GCL like axiom
        b) Typically one would have something more verbose in (terms),
   likely referring to an external file with the (L)GPL in it which we
   would then have to either distribute, or more likely, include in
   the image itself, as one nice feature of gcl is that it does not
   need to be installed for a user to install maxima,acl2,axiom.

For those who might not want to compile the latest changes I committed
last night, this is what we have at present:

GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.1 CLtL1   Feb 25 2004 23:15:08
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
Binary License: GPL due to GPL'ed components: (READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.

The CLtL1 changes to ANSI when running the ansi image, the component
list accurately reflects the gpl'ed code that was linked in, and if
its empty, the binary license just reads LGPL.

I'm not attached to this, and it can certainly be improved, but I'd
like to delay improvements until 2.7.x unless there are objections to
the above.  If I've overlooked anything important, however, I want to
hear about it now rather than later.

Take care,