gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] ["Gordon ShawNovak"<address@hidden>]Re:GCLgetting slushy

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] ["Gordon ShawNovak"<address@hidden>]Re:GCLgetting slushy ...
Date: 26 Feb 2004 10:44:09 -0500

Greetings!

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Camm.
>
> | OK, while I agree with this, it has also made clear the other poster's
> | point that it is simply too long.  Can anyone think of some accurate
> | terse phraseology that will fit into two lines max?  How about
> |
> | Source License: LGPL(GCL), GPL(unexec,bfd)
> | Binary License: GPL -- GPL'ed external components (unexec,bfd,readline)
>
> Looks good to me except in the second line the first GPL should be LGPL.
> You might also consider making line 2 an echo of line 1 with the appropriate
> mods, but really I don't think it matters.

Actually, to my understanding, the inclusion of the gpl'ed binary
components puts the whole binary "combination" under the GPL.  You
might want to checkout the behavior of (si::default-system-banner)
(just committed) and its behavior with different values in
*features*.  Please let me know if something is amiss or undesirable.

> | > I also would like to see, for the sake of convenience, the
> | version displayed
> | > as "2.6.1 ANSI" or "2.6.1 CLtL1" depending on the value of the
> | configure.in
> | > variable @CLSTANDARD@ which is already being used in the
> | Windows installer
> | > script to generate differentiable package names.
> |
> | Agreed.  Will do this, but how about tying to :ansi-cl in *features*?
>
> Agreed - I hadn't realised there was such a symbol until you mentioned it
> thanks.  So I suppose we should also have a feature :CLTL1.  I say this

I support this should be mutually exclusive with :ansi-cl, right?
Even though except for a few instances, the former is built upon the
latter.

> because according to stuff on one of the Corman CL lists it seems that there
> may be a move to revise the CL standard under the auspices of the
> Association of Lisp Users rather than ANSI mainly for administrative
> reasons.  In other words we could conceivably be looking at a modified
> standard within a few years.

Wow.  I certainly hope not.  It takes years and years just to fully
comply with what's already written.  Its also an asset to CL, IMHO,
that a standard exists which is old and established.  Its really not
old enough in my opinion.  There has been too much damage due to
implementation diversification.

> I think it might also be smart to have a version feature as GCL itself is
> rapidly changing and we could easily end up with a nasty mess in third party
> code over the next two years.

We have si::*gcl-{major,minor,extra}-version*.  Do you feel something
in *features* is better?

> Note also in relation to standards

???

Take care,