gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Where to put files

From: Michael Koehne
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Where to put files
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:39:56 +0100

Moin Stavros Macrakis,

> One issue I'd like to understand better: how exactly are you supposed to
> manage the various files and paths?

  even it this is off topic to LISP lets think about Unix pathes :

  - $HOME is the home directory                  (in my case /home/kraehe)
    /home/kraehe/pub/lisp/gcl_2.6.0cvs-1.tar.gz  (place for downloads)
    /home/kraehe/src/gcl/CVS/Root                (root of the CVS tree)
    /home/kraehe/src/gcl/                        (gcl source tree)

  I now have 4 different choices of installation, while configure :

  1 ./configure --prefix=/home/kraehe
    this will install GCL in my private $HOME directory :
    /home/kraehe/bin, /home/kraehe/lib, /home/kraehe/share,
    /home/kraehe/man, /home/kraehe/...
  2 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
    this is unix default, so one has to be(come) root user to install
    gcl as a local system wide programm package.
  3 ./configure --prefix=/usr
    this should only be done by the maintainer of a Linux/Unix
    distribution, as /usr/{bin,man,share,lib} is restricted
    to files coming with the distribution.
  4 ./configure --prefix=/opt/gcl
    this will configure gcl to become an optional programm package,
    that could be easyly packed as a tar.gz, or deleted with rm-rf.

  in all 4 cases GCL will install itself into $PREFIX/bin, $PREFIX/lib,
  $PREFIX/man, $PREFIX/share, ...

bye
  Michael
--