gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] mac os x port questions

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] mac os x port questions
Date: 13 Feb 2004 15:26:22 -0500

Greetings!

Aurelien Chanudet <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Lars,
>
> Adding GCL to Fink is something I was planning, but this is a bit
> premature in my opinion. At present, there is one touchy issue :
> dynamic code loading. GCL uses BFD for this. As you know, BFD is at
> the core of the GNU toolchain. Although broadly used in the Unix
> world, it's not officially supported for Mac OS X --- the BFD Mach-O
> back-end is not fully functional. Therefore, I worked on this back-end
> so as to add the missing functionalities. The bulk of the work is
> done. However, I haven't found the time to contribute the code back to
> the FSF yet. Neither have I found the time to add my patches to GCL's
> local BFD tree. GCL is configured to use GCL

Apart from the time needed to commit, how stable is your bfd work
here?

> Alternatively, there's the dlopen workaround (--disable-statsysbfd
> --enable-custreloc), which does not really satisfy me, but which does
> work for Mac OS X.

Does this build save loaded binary objects so that they are found on
image restart?

> Actually, there is an other issue with GCL on Panther. I'm not sure
> whether the issue is due to Panther itself (this issue did not show up
> under Jaguar), or whether it is due to recent changes in the garbage
> collecting strategy. Indeed, efforts have been put in recently to
> improve the GC mechanism, and recent changes might have broken
> compatibility with Mac OS X. This is something I'll try to investigate
> for you during the forthcoming week-end.

OK, clarification when time allows is appreciated.

> Anyway, to get you running : have a look at
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gcl-devel/2003-10/msg00156.html
> and JUMP DIRECTLY TO STEP 4.
>
> More feedback soon.
>
>  > #define GET_FULL_PATH_SELF (a_) \
>  > #define GET_FULL_PATH_SELF(a_) \
>  > note removed space between SELF and (a_)
>
> I fixed this in CVS head (2.7.x) a couple of months ago. I've never
> worked on gcl 2.6.x myself and I must confess I never really took the
> time to commit my changes to 2.6.x. This is was I was suggesting using
> 2.7.x instead.

Can I backport your macosx files to the stable branch?  Are they
ready?  These are to my understanding:

./o/sfaslmacosx.c
./o/unexmacosx.c
./unixport/rsym_macosx.c
./h/powerpc-macosx.h
./h/powerpc-macosx.defs

> Aurelien

Time permitting, it would be great to have 2.6.2 work without extra
configure switches for as many of gcl,maxima,acl2, and axiom as
possible.  What was the last test status for these builds?

Take care, and thank you *very much* for your extremely valuable help
with this!