gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] system, load-time-value

From: Debian User
Subject: [Gcl-devel] system, load-time-value
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 18:47:14 +0000

Hi Camm!

I've managed to cross-install Debian via
a netinstall-cd, and have begun to look at
common-lisp-controller.

I've encountered a few questions in that regard.
I'll need to use SI::SYSTEM and mangle with
image-copies in unixport/ among other things.

(SI::SYSTEM "exit 3") returns _two_ values, the exit-code
3 as expected is the first value, but the second
value is always 0, no matter what command I run.
What is the second value that SI::SYSTEM returns?

By the way:  Why isn't it exported?  Sometimes it
seems rather random which symbols are exported from
SI, but I guess it has always been a moving target...
Just curious.

When I tried to load common-lisp-controller.lisp,
I found out that LOAD-TIME-VALUE doesn't work in the
interpreter in gcl: It isn't implemented.  As far as
I understand it is supposed to work in execute and
load modes, while compilation mode evaluates the value
for load-time.  Paul?

Clisp accepts LOAD-TIME-VALUE in interpretation
(execute) mode, so I gather it is standard.
I'll probably do fine without the gcl interpreter,
but the issue remains... There also seems to be
problems with LOGICAL-PATHNAME-TRANSLATIONS and
SETF -- are pathnames broken in gcl?  I end up
in an infinite debugger-loop.  Just checking if
somebody knew something obvious I did not:
I'll continue digging...

Yours,

Dennis Decker Jensen