gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Maxima] Re: Maxima cmucl patch

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Maxima] Re: Maxima cmucl patch
Date: 02 Feb 2004 10:04:33 -0500

Greetings!

"Stavros Macrakis" <address@hidden> writes:

> If you don't have a system definition within the Lisp system (or at
> least accessible to it), how do you support interpretive execution?  In
> the Maxima context, how would you go about integrating
> dynamically-defined Maxima programs into the build system?  Are there
> good debuggers available for non-interpretive execution?
>
> Of course in principle you could make all this work in a compiled
> environment, but....

That's interesting, if I understand you correctly.  Is there any
available real-world system making use of 'dynamically-defined'
programs and routines?  If your system generates a function at runtime
and decides to compile it, why does it need to know where it is on a
dependency tree?

While your at it, though this is somewhat off topic -- could you
please explain to me to what lisp development experts are referring
when they tout the ability to modify a running program?  The closest
procedure I can imagine fitting this description would be to fire up
gdb, attach to a running daemon, break at a point, 'p var =
new_value', 'detach'.  Of course the program is not 'running' when
stopped.  Operations on sql databases have a similar quality.  But as
far as I know, barring more recent developments such as multithreaded
extensions, lisp has a single flow of control.  Perhaps is meant
executing a saved image, modifying, saving the image, and copying that
to the location used in future invocations?

Take care,