gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Maxima] Re: Maxima cmucl patch

From: ddj
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Maxima] Re: Maxima cmucl patch
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:12:55 +0000 (UTC)

        Even though I hate to see people
        re-re-reinventing the wheel. I don't think
        that the case with make vs. defsystem. They
        are not comparable tools.

        --Jim

Kent Pitman does a good job of explaining the issues
in the following article.  Even though it is written
in the context of lisp systems, the issues aren't
idiosyncratic to lisp.

http://www.nhplace.com/kent/Papers/Large-Systems.html

The size of the article is due to two big appendixes
of code.  It is a quick read.

I can heartily recommend it to anybody, who hasn't
read it yet.

BTW:  All lisp-packages on Debian and others comes
packaged in one or both of the new systems: ASDF
and mk:defsystem.  CLisp comes with mk:defsystem in
the full image.

Dennis Decker Jensen