gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL memory allocation and GC problems

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL memory allocation and GC problems
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:01:20 +0300

Camm Maguire ?????:
Greetings!  BTW, Vadim, if you have any suggestions on *preallocation*
level adjustments, please let me know.  (room) on starupt of ansi gcl
shows most of the pages pushing the maximum boundaries.

Take care,

Sorry for some delay. After all I was able to
run some Maxima + current GCL CVS tests watching how
results depends on initial preallocation.
And they are quite nice.  Mostly timing is
virtually independent of initial preallocation
- difference is around 10%.  This is due to
new growth parameters.  On the other hand
I see at least one test in which preallocation
doubles performance.  In this specific case
Maxima/GCL does some long calculations which
do not need a lot of memory - it results in a
large number of GC without new allocation
since free % remains below new allocation threshold.
In this particular situation preallocation
allows to reduce number of GC.  Maybe it is
worth to make initial allocation for CONS,
FIXNUM, STRING and CFUN proportional to
MAXPAGES?  But I'm not sure about precise
numbers yet.

Best wishes,

Vadim

--