gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] ansi-tests on a thinkpad & cetera

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] ansi-tests on a thinkpad & cetera
Date: 19 Jan 2004 11:02:56 -0500

Greetings!

address@hidden writes:

> Hi!
>
> Last night I cvs'ed gcl and compiled it.  I ran
> the tests with this result:
> `693 out of 14791 total tests failed.'
>
> The tests ran in about 10 min.  I use a Thinkpad
> X23, 866 Mhz. PIII M with a 20 GB HDD (4200 rpm).
> It gets hot...
>
> If anybody is interested,  I can mail the
> test-results.

Yes, thanks for this!  BOth the development of the ani-test suite and
GCL's compliance with it are active works in progress.  Right now work
is suspended pending the release of 2.6.2.

> Does anybody use the emacs lisp packages?
> I cannot figure out excactly how to use them,
> and when starting gcl by `M-x run' the prompt
> aren't entirely correct: >^M>

Actually, I've found these emacs bindings useful when working with the
traditional gcl build.  They need to be modified when using the ansi
build, as the latter redefines the break-level function with its
output of file and line number.  If you are interested, work on this
would be most appreciated.

The ^M indicates that readline has been activated, and that GCL's
automatic determination that the controlling terminal is not readline
capable has failed.  Do (si::readline-off).

> The man page I had to install manually, and
> emacs are having trouble finding the info-docs.
> The latter is probably because of a bad emacs
> setup on my maschine though.

If you spot a prob in GCL here, please let us know.

> $ uname -a
>
> Linux arch.linuxbox.dk 2.4.24 #1 SMP Mon Jan 5 13:46:59 PST 2004 i686 unknown
> unknown GNU/Linux
>
> I can see there is a xgcl in there.  Is anybody
> using that?  I just peeked the makefile and the
> readme, but it looks old. Interesting though.

Yes, I'll cc this message to two xgcl users who might be able to
comment better than I.  It would be great to just have xgcl support be
activated via a loadable module in the standard build, IMHO.

Take care,