gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Building Maxima - GCL on Windows (mingw)

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Building Maxima - GCL on Windows (mingw)
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:32:26 +0300

I'd like to have full ACL 6.2 (preferable on both Linux
and Windows) support for forthcoming Maxima 5.9.1
and I could try to help if nobody else step forward.
I just tried to build Maxima on trial Linux ACL 6.2
but process failed due to trial heap size limitation.

Richard Fateman writes:
I do not know about this detail.  I think that once
the files are compiled, the trial lisp can run maxima.

If you really want to make the script work, I suggest
you send mail to address@hidden  He claims to have gotten
everything to work and has the script for setting up
the telnet server on maxima.franz.com

I think that with current machines, a collection of the
compiled files can be loaded into an allegro in 30 seconds
or so.  The right way to do it (on windows) is to load
an allegro lisp with a "dxl" file that has everything
in maxima dumped in some form that can be instantly re-linked.

My own effort to do maxima on allegro eventually produced
something that didn't have the correct pathnames for file
search, but otherwise seems to be OK.
RJF

Vadim V. Zhytnikov wrote:

Richard Fateman ?????:

Good luck.  The lisp-utils/run script fails for me. I ended up
just imitating it by hand, when I did allegro common lisp.
RJF

I inserted a pair of "" but not in the
place where they were originally.  Now maxima.bat
works even if Maxima installed in the directory
with spaces.  Unfortunately usual
configure/make/make install can't handle such
situation but maybe Windows installer (InnoSetup?)
could do the job. In any case final maxima.bat
should work well.

As for ACL.  I'd like to play with it but
as far as I know demo version is not suitable
for building maxima - it can't create images.
Am I right?

Vadim V. Zhytnikov wrote:

Richard Fateman ?????:

Those extra "" may have to do with path names that have
spaces in them, like c:\Program Files\.....

RJF

Ah, yes!  You are right.  Probably I over-deleted
some of "" but original maxima.bat didn't work at
all due to """" constructions.  I should test
the case with spaces in the path more carefully.

--
     Vadim V. Zhytnikov

      <address@hidden>
     <address@hidden>