gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on mingw

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL on mingw
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:51:00 +0300

Camm Maguire ?????:
Hi Vadim!  Thanks to your detective work, we've found it.

In unexnt.c, there is the following:

static char *
allocate_heap (void)
{

  unsigned long base = DBEGIN;   /*  27MB */
  /*   unsigned long base = 0x01B00000; */  /*  27MB */
  unsigned long end  = 1 << VALBITS; /* 256MB */
  void *ptr = NULL;
  reserved_heap_size = end - base;

VALBITS is hardcoded to 29, makeing end 0x20000000.  We need to
include gclincl.h in this file, and set end from MAXPAGES, PAGESIZE,
and DBEGIN.  I'm hoping you can propose and test a patch, making sure
there are no define conflicts brought in by the include.

I also came to similar conclusion.  I started looking
at the place where reserved-heap_size came from and this
256Mb (64K pages) hard coded limitation naturally attracted
my attention.

When I had access to Mike Thomas' home machine for a bit, we got a
working setup going with emacs' new version of unexnt.c, unexw32.c.

Is unexw32.c some newer Window unexec code?  unexnt.c seems to
be quite old.

If you want to work on getting this going, I can help here too.  If
VALBITS was deliberately chosen to have this restrictive value in
unexnt.c due to the following unexec algorithm, such limitation is
likely removed in unexw32.c.  In any case, we need to especially test
(si::save-system...) when testing our expanded 'end' setting in
unexnt.c.

I'll try some experiments but a bit later.  I'll be on leave for
two days.

After we get this going, perhaps we could similarly look at the
ansi/fast-links issue, and then perhaps bfd relocations, if you have
the time.

Surely!  I don't like Windows programming very much but making
GCL portable and stable is exciting objective.
BTW, now I work with GCL/mingw on Windows XP but I can
tets it on other Windows inscarnations (Me/98/2000).
And I'd like also to take a look at GCL under cygwin - one more
piece of portability.

--
     Vadim V. Zhytnikov

      <address@hidden>