gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Access to ftp.gnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Access to ftp.gnu.org
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:56:45 +0100

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> said:

> Greetings, and thanks so much for the reply.  Two other quick
> questions:
>
> 1) In your opinion, would it be advisable to wait for some additional
>    period, and then to ask RMS?  He is the only other person with whom
>    I've corresponded at some length at gnu.org.  If so, what do you
>    think is a reasonable period?  We've already put up temporary
>    distribution sites elsewhere, as the last version at ftp.gnu.org is
>    significantly behind the latest stable version in CVS.  Of course I
>    don't want to make anyone unhappy about this as I know all are busy
>    and doing great work.

I think that setting an alternate website because you did not receive
any answer is definitely a problem, and you should send a mail
directly to RMS, as he will know who to contact to get the information
you need.
On one hand, it's probably way more secure to have ftp.gnu.org not
accessible via a shell for non-admins ; on the other hand a more
secured system should not make everything going slowly.

> 2) Any idea when subversions will become available again?  The
>savannah site?

Apparently people installing the system have trouble with the new
hardware, so I still did not had a chance to connect on it, to
reinstall Savannah and to check the whole server.

However, it is surely better to have a perfectly clean system before
it's plugged on the network. So even if the downtime is really to be
very annoying, it is probably for the best.

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |