gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] AXIOM build with hacked GCL

From: root
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] AXIOM build with hacked GCL
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:18:24 -0500

Mark,

I forgot to mention that you can move the system anywhere after the
build completes by changing the AXIOM variable. You only need to
move the "mnt" subdirectory to have a running system. All the rest
can be removed. Thus, once you build a system and want to install it
either type

make install

which will install the system in "/usr/local/axiom" by default and
put the axiom command into "/usr/local/axiom/mnt/(sys)/bin/axiom"
by default. If you want it to live elsewhere, like "opt" and want
the command elsewhere like "/usr/local/bin" try:

make install INSTALL=/bin/axiom COMMAND=/usr/local/bin/axiom

Alternatively you can hand copy the system to a new location.
You only need to copy the mnt subdirectory thus:

mkdir /my/local/hacks/myaxiom                   <= where to put axiom
cp (yourpath)/axiom/mnt /my/local/hacks/myaxiom <= copy the execution tree
export AXIOM=/my/local/hacks/myaxiom/mnt/linux  <= tell axiom where it lives
export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH                    <= put it on your path

Tim

There are 2 shell variables that can affect where axiom will look for things.

The first, called AXIOM, defines where the system lives.
When set it during the build time it tells the build 2 pieces of information:

AXIOM=(yourpath)/axiom/mnt/(sys)

The (yourpath) tells the build where the sources live.
The (sys) tells the build what kind of target system to build.
(It is possible to do cross-compiles to other (sys) but we don't yet
exploit that).

The second variable is DAASE. It is set to the path ABOVE the algebra
directory. Thus if the databases (*.daase) live in (yourDBpath)/algebra
you would set:

DAASE=(yourDBpath)

Remember to leave the "algebra" directory off the end of the path.
This variable is only used during test builds. I play games with the
database locations. Users should not have to set this variable but
Camm may use it to point to other databases.

Tim