gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Mac OS X binary release

From: Aurelien Chanudet
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Mac OS X binary release
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:33:42 +0100 (CET)

> Great!  Don't know if you saw the link I posted
> some time ago describing the alternate
> relocation pathways through the bfd library.
> Very enlightening.  Apparently there is a 'new'
> preferred route which sidesteps
> bfd_get_relocated_section_contents and does
> something like a ..._final_link, as shown in
> elflink.h if I recall.  This is likely why
> the newer Linux platforms don't have a working
> bfd_get_relocated_section_contents.   At some
> point it would be fruitful to try making a
> sfaslbfd_new.c following elflink.h instead,
> though the code is a bit more complex than what
> we have now.  We may find that the low level
> relocation information is already in the
> library both for macosx and these linux
> platforms (hppa ia64 alpha mips(el)).  As you
> and I are perhaps the only two people who've
> looked at this part of GCL, if this ever gets
> done its likely going to be one of us :-).

I'm afraid I might have missed what you've posted
some time ago about this 'new' and preferred
relocation mechanism.  Could you provide me a pointer
?

I didn't knew that bfd_get_relocated_section_contents
was broken on some architectures.  As I understand it,
the ..._final_link routine you're referring to handles
much more than what's needed for GCL, which basically
is what bfd_get_relocated_section_contents provides.
bfd_final_link not only handles loading the properly
relocated section contents in memory, but is also
responsible for creating the output symbol table and
other stuff that we might not be interested in.  But
this is just my present thought on it.

I haven't had a chance to look at elflink.h yet.
Maybe you could tell me what the logic in there is. I
believe this could save me a great deal of time if I'm
ever to look at this file.

> Here is the redirection page:

And what did you do to get this error message ?