gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] clocc defsystem and gcl

From: James Amundson
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] clocc defsystem and gcl
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:59:54 -0600

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 20:46, Camm Maguire wrote:
> Greetings, and thanks so much for doing this!  In brief, at least 1, 3
> and 4 are items which will eventually be supported in the ansi build.

OK. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

> I thought 2 was correct, but maybe not.

As I said, I am not a Lisp language lawyer. However, I just verified
that ignore-errors is in the common-lisp package in all of (cmucl, sbcl
and clisp.)

>  In any case, I think it would
> be nice not to have to require the ansi build for maxima because of
> these few items.  Perhaps the right reader macro would be something
> like (and :gcl (not :ansi)).  Alternatively, perhaps these items are
> simple and non-invasive enough that we can just add them to the
> traditional image and be done with it.  Comments?

Ah. Here is a topic worth discussing. Now that the gcl ansi build is in
pretty good shape, I am really much happier requiring it. My concern is
not a few lines in defsystem. My concern is really with code that is
being added to Maxima. Many of the developers are only familiar with
ansi common lisp. I think working around deficiencies in the gcl ansi
build is much easier than having them write code that also works in the
language implemented in the gcl traditional build. Does that fit with
your vision of gcl development?

> The :system-p flag is currently only required for the alt-link option.
> In actuality, only the first of three items toggled by this flag are
> required, uniquely named init functions, reference to an external
> header cmpinclude.h, and human readable (i.e. non-bytecode) .data
> files.  At some point we might just adopt the first across the
> board, but for now you can avoid patching defsystem if you set the
> variable compiler::*default-system-p* to t somewhere in advance.

It sounds like setting the compiler::*default-system-p* flag is the much
better option. Thanks.

Best,
Jim