gcl-devel

Re: P.S. to address@hidden: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: ACL2 Version 2.7 release

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: P.S. to address@hidden: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: ACL2 Version 2.7 release]
Date: 10 Nov 2003 21:16:31 -0500

Hi Matt!  My apologies for the confusion!

Debian package versions follow the 'upstream' software version after a
dash '-'.  In the distribution now is 2.7-7.  This is now many months
old, and suffers from the ia64 stability problems, in addition to a
number if issues you've raised for me in earlier email.  (one of which
is the use of directory names involving acl2-2.6 :-)).  All files from
packages.debian.org refer to this version.

The new version I'd like to upload, perhaps after a little
modification, is the one at
http://people.debian.org/~camm/atl2_2.7-8_i386.deb.

Debian *source* packages come in three files, and .orig.tar.gz (which
is identical with your own tarball release, or should be), Debian
specific patches to this source (i.e acl2_2.7-8.diff.gz), and a
description file (i.e. acl2_2.7-8.dsc).  These files are unpacked and
built on a variety of architectures (11 as of this moment !), and
compiled into binary packages, installable on the user's system
without additional reference to the source package.  These are the
.deb files, each of which carry an architecture specific prefix,
i.e. _i386.deb.

On *any* linux system, one can unpack and inspect a .deb as follows:

1) ar x .....deb
2) tar zxf data.tar.gz

One then has a local tree of all the files that would be installed by
the package.  It is therefore a good idea to do this in an empty
temporary directory.

Matt Kaufmann <address@hidden> writes:

> P.S. Regarding my comment:
>
> >> This is embarrassing, but I'm quite confused.
>
> OK, I'm a little clearer now that it's the next morning, I see that I obtained
> ACL2 following Jun Sawada's instructions (sorry for the misguided email last
> night):
>
>   8. Download ACL2 source and patch file from the Debian site. Go to
>
>      http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/acl2.html
>
>      and download acl2_2.7.orig.tar.gz and acl2_2.7-7.diff.gz.
>
> I have comments comparing acl2_2.7.orig.tar.gz and the released ACL2 2.7,
> which
> are included below.  But I suspect that you want comments on
> http://www.debian.org/people/~camm/acl2_2.7.8_i386.deb, which is quite
> different from the above, for example because of the missing Makefile.  So
> just
> let me know how I should think of the organization of acl2_2.7.8_i386.deb, and
> I'll send further comments.

Please let me know if the above is any clearer.  I can't remember
exactly right now, but it seems likely the main Makefile is only
required for compiling acl2, and is not therefore included in the
final binary package .deb file.  Note that I do include acl2 source
files, as these are used by end-users of acl2 as well.

> Comments on acl2_2.7.orig.tar.gz downloaded from
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/acl2.html:

I'll keep these comments in case they are still relevant to the new
package, but I believe many of them are fixed in the proposed 2.7-8
.deb file.