gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] 1024 file limit (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Latest Debian pa

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Gcl-devel] 1024 file limit (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Latest Debian package (-11))
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 12:46:45 +0100

Hello Camm,

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

> 3) Systems using dlopen (alpha, mips(el), hppa, and ia64) still cannot
>    build the databases, only (apparently) due to the limit on the
>    number of simultaneously opened (and dlopened) files (1024).  The
>    patch I've temporarily put in to copy prebuilt databases from i386
>    on these platforms allows the current build to complete on these
>    arches.

Isn't this 1024 file limit a system limit that can be raised up by using
shell commands?

If I do:
address@hidden:~$ ulimit -a
[...]
open files                    (-n) 1024

So, doing 'ulimit -n 2048' should allow 2048 file descriptors for the
process. I tested on my machine and I need to be root to do that. Maybe
a Debian Unix expert might help?

Yours,
d.
--