gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Latest Debian package (-11)

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Latest Debian package (-11)
Date: 08 Nov 2003 19:58:04 -0500

Greetings!  Just wanted to give a brief report on some of the latest
building and autobuilding:

1) With 2.6.1-18 and later, the ia64 problem, in which shared
   libraries at runtime had to exactly match those present at compile
   time, has been eliminated.  Just tested the latest ia64 axiom build
   against multiple versions of the same shared libs, and all is
   stable.(!)

2) I lost contact with my arm machine during the build, but it looks
   as though at most there might be problems compiling one or two
   algebra files.  The build will take days to complete on this arch,
   but apparently this will give us axiom on a pda.  (Will anyone use
   axiom there?)

3) Systems using dlopen (alpha, mips(el), hppa, and ia64) still cannot
   build the databases, only (apparently) due to the limit on the
   number of simultaneously opened (and dlopened) files (1024).  The
   patch I've temporarily put in to copy prebuilt databases from i386
   on these platforms allows the current build to complete on these
   arches.

4) Building the package takes a long time on some systems, but ppc,
   alpha, and ia64 have recently successfully completed my latest
   upload.  Given earlier results, I don't expect any difficulties
   from mips(el), hppa, sparc, and s390 (thanks Gerhard for clearing
   the gcc compiler bug here!)  In principle, arm and m68k should be
   fine too, but as these machines are rather slow and less exercised
   in the areas we're using, may give us a few surprises.

5) In researching some of the latest GCL changes, I feel that it may
   be quite straightforward to eliminate the need for dlopen on the 5
   platforms mentioned above by making use of an alternate relocation
   pathway through the bfd library.  Don't know how important it is,
   but unless someone indicates they really need it, I'm going to
   focus on clearing up more ansi issues first.

Take care,