gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Foreign C with pipe(2) and dup(2)

From: Todd Kelley
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Foreign C with pipe(2) and dup(2)
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 04:04:07 -0500

Hello GCL Developers!

I have a "callc.lsp" file that uses defentry to define some lisp functions in terms of C code that involves calls to pipe(2), dup(2), and fork(2). The last time I tried it out was with AKCL-1-625 on Solaris for Intel, and I remember in order to get "callc.o" to load, I needed to recompile ackl with dup.o and pipe.o (ar x libc.a pipe.o, etc) linked in. I'm having no luck trying something similar with GCL-2.5.3.

NOW I'M ON Redhat 8.0, with GCL, and it seems much is different from the AKCL/Solaris86 days. I've tried defining EXTRAS= in various ways prescribed by various snippets of documentation I've found in various places. I've tried (load "pipe.o") which gives an unresolved __syscall_error. I've tried linking pipe.o and dup.o into saved_kcl and get unresolved __syscall_error errors. I've tried a few other things in attepts to get those symbols into the mix, with no joy. (compile "callc.lsp") is fine, but (load "callc.lsp") always gives

>(load "callc.o")

pipe is undefined

Error: Cannot get relocated section contents

Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by EVAL.
Broken at LOAD.  Type :H for Help.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible with GCL on Linux, and if so, how I should go about loading a lisp file with clines that call pipe(2), dup(2), and fork(2)? I know I was able to do it with AKCL-1-625 on Solaris Intel (probably Solaris 2.4 or 2.5).

Cheers,
Todd