gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] RE: On statically linked Axiom

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Gcl-devel] RE: On statically linked Axiom
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:38:29 -0500

Camm, et al.

Well I guess I was too optimistic about building
Axiom with GCL --enable-static. After a day of
running the cpu around the whole build cycle
several times and in several different ways, I am
still not (quite) able to complete a build of Axiom
using the .configure --enable-static option. I am
working with gcc 3.3.2 on Linux 8.0 and GCL-2.6.1-16.

In fact, the Axiom build proceeds to very near
completion. Having added three missing files to
the build since my last successful attempt, the
Axiom build now stalls during the make-databases
stage - the very last stage before finishing normally.
This seems quite odd to me since at the time the
build goes into an infinite loop, it is just loading
NRLIB/code - not compiling. I tried doubling the
vssize and maxpage parameters but that seemed to
have no effect.

It turns out that I *can* manually canel and override
this last step and simply copy the old databases files
into the new run-time and all seems to work well and the
resulting Axiom system even runs all of it's regression
tests in the same way as the non-static build (though
it is still not be able to re-build it's own databases).

I am now certain that the problem is related to the
--enable-static option since I am able to repeatably
remove this option and have the build complete entirely
normally. Whether I then update the databases to the
newly built ones or not, as soon as I return to
--enable-static, a re-build of Axiom will again fail
at the same point (loading BBTREE.NRLIB/code).

So I am about to give on this for now. But I do have
one or two final quesitions:

1) Do you think that it would it be worthwhile to
attempt this using the unstable development branch
version GCL 2.7.1? Are there changes in 2.7.1 that
might have subtle effects on a static GCL?

2) What about the choice of versions of gcc? Was
my approach to upgrade to the most recent gcc 3.3.2
a good decision or is there an earlier gcc version
that might be happier building static binaries? Are
there libraries besides the ones in gcc that should
also be upgraded?

3) And this more to the Axiom developers: Do you
think there would be any point in my uploading the
binary part of the static build even though the database
build did not complete normally? The possible advantage
(maybe) would be that we might have a chance to see
if this approach of a static build will provide a
single binary that could be run on a larger number of
linux platforms.

Cheers,
Bill Page.