gcl-devel

Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] Another failing build on EFUPXS: G

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] Another failing build on EFUPXS: GCL 2.6.1 issue??
Date: 25 Oct 2003 11:28:02 -0400

Greetings!

David MENTRE <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > ppc relocs are 24bit by default, unless you compile with the
> > -mlong-calls (or some such), first supported on ppc in gcc-3.3.
> [...]
> > Without it, loads on big images will lose.  Ran into this with the
>
> Ouch! So if I read you correclty, you mean I can't compile Axiom on my
> Debian stable/gcc 2.95.4 powerpc machine?

Most likely not.  On ppc, you'll be much happier with gcc-3.3.  You
can apt-get -q -b source it, 'apt pin' it (probably the easiest), or
set up an unstable debian chroot anvironment.

> A possible workaround: could I compile Axiom, statically linked, on a
> powerpc machine with gcc-3.3 and then execute it on my powerpc debian
> stable?

This will work as long as you don't compile any further modules on
stable.  Make sure the compiler::*cc* variable has not hardcoded
gcc-3.3.

> Another possible workaround: would it work with gcl-2.5.2 on my debian
> stable (gcc 2.95.4)?

This is not a gcl issue, but a gcc one.  I.e. the problem exists with
all gcl on top of gcc < 3.3.

> While I'm asking questions on gcl, do I need to recompile everything
> from scratch if I switch gcl version used to compile Axiom (from
> gcl-2.5.2 -> gcl-2.6.1)?

Should not be necessary to recompile the axiom modules, but you will
need to ensure that all the intermediary images are build atop the new
gcl.

BTW, you know that there is a pre-built Debian axiom package for ppc
(unstable)?

Take care,