gcl-devel

RE: [Maxima] RE: [Gcl-devel] Using do-symbols in gcl (workaround)

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Maxima] RE: [Gcl-devel] Using do-symbols in gcl (workaround)
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:02:56 +1000

Hi Stavros.

Just for the record:

| > I'm not sure I understand how you did this as I don't
| > understand what GFACTORSUM has to do with do-symbols.  Could
| > you please show me what you typed at the Maxima prompt?
|
| Sorry, I should have mentioned that this was at a Lisp prompt (gotten
| with control-G). This is supposed to print all the Lisp symbols (in the
| current package), one per line.  Instead, it prints out many symbols
| (one per line), then Lisp crashes.  The actual number of lines it prints
| (and hence the last symbol) varies a little bit.
|
| I considered the possibility that the output from Maxima is somehow
| causing a problem in the Maxima-to-tcl interface (magic string?  too
| many short lines?  output coming too fast?  whatever), but it turns out
| you don't need to print out the symbols, or do anything else with them.
| At a Lisp prompt, (do-symbols (xx) nil)<cr><cr> causes the crash.

Ahaa! Ctrl-g...  Thanks!

As it turns out, the problem doesn't occur for me on the current Maxima
distribution with either printed output or the nil case:

(C1)
Error: Console interrupt.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by MACSYMA-TOP-LEVEL.
Broken at SYSTEM:TERMINAL-INTERRUPT.  Type :H for Help.
MAXIMA>>(do-symbols (xx) (print xx))

ZERO
MEVALP_TR
MAINVAR-DATUM