gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] FreeBSD fixes to HEAD for GCL

From: Mark Murray
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] FreeBSD fixes to HEAD for GCL
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:21:18 +0100

Camm Maguire writes:
> Greetings, Mark, and thank you *so* much for your suggestions!  This
> is just a quick note to state that I'd like to send you a longer more
> detailed reply tomorrow.  In short, I'd really like to get this to
> compile out of the box on xBSD, and am prepared to do the commits to
> make it happen.  But there is at least one known instance in which
> gmp3 has to be patched to avoid a potential gc bug/conflict.  Schelter
> put this in himself, and even when configuring with dynsysgmp, gcl
> will compile this file and use its symbols in prefece to their analogs
> in the gmp3 library via the -u command line option to ld.  (see the
> creation of raw_gcl).  So while I agree that having the gmp3 tree is
> bloat, we cannot entirely dispense with it.  WFS asked the gmp3
> developers to include the patch, but they declined to my
> understanding.  And 10000! is, unfortunately, not a reliable test at
> all in this situation.

Hiya. I had a strong suspicion that 10000! wouldn't cut it. What would
be a better test? (I'm motivated to actually fix this, now!) BTW - there
is hardware "out there" that can be used as a BIGNUM accelerator, and
this is one of the reasons I'm trying to avoid a fork.

> The BFD tree is only there for possible future patches on platforms
> where bfd relocation does not work.  It appears that the first such
> case might be Mac OS X with Aurelian's changes.  But for mainline
> boxes it can be elided.

Hmm. Can it not be assumed that whatever BFD is ported to OSX will do
the job?

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH