gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] native relocation on Mac OS X

From: Aurelien Chanudet
Subject: [Gcl-devel] native relocation on Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 18:07:47 +0200

Hi all,

As a first step towards using BFD to perform native relocation on Mac OS X, I've written some code to load, link and natively relocate object files on Mac OS X. As a result, fasloading can now be achieved without using the external ld linker.

This took me longer than expected, because I had to manually address relocation overflows that might occur when the branch displacement does not fit in 24 bits. I know gcc 3.3 has a "-mlongcall" flag but I'm still using gcc 3.1 for some other reason. (Apple's gcc has its own "-mlongbranch" flag, but this didn't help, though.)

The first good news is that Maxima 5.9.0 now successfully compiles without the alternate linking mechanism. "make check" chokes on "Problem 43". I suspect this corresponds to the 3rd issue listed under the "Know issues" section of the "NEWS" file included in the source directory.

The second good news is that acl2 also compiles fine. I've run "make check" yet for acl2, as this took me over one night the last time I did it, but I'm planning to.

Aurelien