gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Windows issues - reversion

From: Jacques Mequin
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Windows issues - reversion
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:55:42 +0200

I am new, and yet unexperimented, ACL2 user

Originally I have pulled the already built ACL2 image from the
ACL2 ftp

The problem is that this image was built with an old GCL 2.5.0
release that had a nasty "fixnum" garbage collector bug making
sometime the ACL2 user to lose its entire session

Matt, knowing that the bug was fixed, has suggested me to build
myself an ACL2 image starting from a recent win32 cvs GCL image

In fact, maybe GCL 2.5.1, or 2.5.2 would have been enough for me
but the only available binary on the "cvs" is that 2.5.3 that,
like any "cvs", may be unstable

I suggest you to also keep, on line, a stable image of the previous
official release

Its is a pain, but to resume my ACL2 work, I have tried to compile
an official GCL release for the source tar files
Unfortunatly, with cygwin, but for mingw, I have ran into trouble
during compilation and I have not yet succeeded to complete a GCL
image

Yes, even with the current "cvs" 5.2.3 image the later building of
ACL2 can be performed without error
The "garbage collector" bug is gone and that solves the issue that
was at the origin of all of this
But that goes wrong, now, is the fact to (console) interrupt an ACL2
long (or looping) proof by a "control-c" no longer returns (as it
used to do on 2.5.0) to common lisp top level but directly abort the
whole session with an error message
This makes ACL2 very painful to use

Regards,
   Jacque