gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: GCL on FreeBSD - Working!

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL on FreeBSD - Working!
Date: 17 Sep 2003 16:35:43 -0400

Great!

The following would be wonderful:

1) Detail what you did to create your working build, and post
   configure and build output.

2) Does your build work with the NetBSD sparc guy too?

3) Other configure options working?  BFD linking?  ANSI? cust-reloc?
   dlopen?

4) Would you like to volunteer as a GCL developer to keep this current
   and working?  We'd prefer if there were no special build
   instructions outside of './configure <options> && make && make
   install', otherwise we need to commit some fixes in CVS.

5) It would be preferable to centralize the .h info around linux.h,
   with specific overrides in a (small) xBSD.h, as the former is sure
   to be well maintained and luckily BSD and linux are quite close.
   Eventually, we'd like configure to replace the .h files altogether.
   These .h files tend to silently break as GCL evolves unless one is
   continually building the tree, or everything is automatically
   detected.  We had someone work on freebsd before, got what they
   wanted working, then disappeared -- I'd like to prevent a
   recurrence, and your advice is appreciated.

6) It would be great to have an autobuilt binary mirrored at our new
   (temporary) distribution site: http://people.debian.org/~camm/gcl.
   Here is an example of the script we have cron'd on a solaris box:
#!/bin/bash

set -e

export PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/ccs/bin/:$PATH

HAVE=$(ls -1rt gcl*tar.gz 2>/dev/null| tail -1l)
if [ "$HAVE" != "" ] ; then
mv $HAVE foo
rm -f gcl*tar.gz
mv foo $HAVE
fi

RHAVE=$(
(
 ftp ftp.debian.org <<EOF
 cd debian/pool/main/g/gcl
 ls -1rt
 quit
EOF
) | grep tar.gz | tail -1l)

if [ "$HAVE" != "$RHAVE" ] ; then

ftp ftp.debian.org <<EOF1
cd debian/pool/main/g/gcl
bin
get $RHAVE
quit
EOF1

rm -f $HAVE
HAVE=$RHAVE

fi

export NAME="gcl_$(echo $HAVE | cut -f2 -d_ | sed 's,.tar.gz,,1').solaris"

if [ -e $NAME.tgz ] ; then
exit 0
fi

rm -f gcl*solaris.tgz

gzcat $HAVE | tar xf -
DIR=$(echo $HAVE | cut -f1 -d\- | tr '_' '-')
rm -rf gcl
mv $DIR gcl

cd gcl

./configure --disable-statsysbfd --enable-locbfd
cd gmp3
./configure --build=sparc-sun-solaris2.8
cd ..
make
rm -rf tmp
mkdir tmp
make install DESTDIR=$(pwd)/tmp
cd tmp
tar cf $HOME/$NAME.tar .
cd $HOME
gzip $NAME.tar
mv $NAME.tar.gz $NAME.tgz

exit 0

        Do you think this could be setup on some machine, sending
        email to a designated person responsible for this build?  We
        can put said person's email address by the binary on the
        website too.

        Is the BSD 'port' system source only or binary too?

7)      The standard regression tests for GCL are the ansi-test suite,
        'make check' in maxima, 'make books' in acl2, and building
        axiom.  Can we track the progress on these fronts somehow?  Is
        there a way that we can be notified if these start to break?

Take care,