gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: New Temporary GCL distribution site

From: Mark Murray
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: New Temporary GCL distribution site
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:36:13 +0100

Camm Maguire writes:
> We need to add our new BSD, Mac OSX, and windows builds too.

I could provide installable binaries for FreeBSD, but I suspect
that not many folks will use a site that is not at least 'semi-
official' freebsd.org distribution point. I'm quite prepared to
be wrong though :-).

ftp.freebsd.org usually has up-to-date port/package builds, and
our 4.9 release (going out in a month) will have 4 CD's worth of
goodies (including packages, which will include GCL) for our
faithful to install.

(In FreeBSD, a "port" is a makefile wrapper and other meta-info
to fetch and build a piece of software. The resultant "package"
is similar to a .rpm or .deb file in that it can be installed and
unistalled by the admin, and contains useful metainfo like
checksums, dependancies and so on. The GCL port has a fairly large
list of packages it depends on, as it uses Tk (and therefore needs
the X stuff). I'll revisit the port a bit later, and make such
dependancies optional.)

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH