gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL FTP file downloads

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL FTP file downloads
Date: 04 Sep 2003 09:47:01 -0400

Greetings!

Michael Koehne <address@hidden> writes:

> Moin Camm Maguire,
>
> > Greetings, and thanks *so* much for this!  I think this might open up
> > a whole new area for GCL users.  can't wait to try it out, but am
> > leaving for the weekend.
>
>   the code is still 99% Richard Mann's code - with the named problems
>   - so please do not yet publish it.

OK

> > Perhaps you could look into the newly
> > checked in cl-gtk bindings into CVS head?  How should we make sense of
> > tk,X,GL,GTK?   Would love to see glade being used at some pt.
>
>   I think I need raw X+raw OpenGL+special accelerated C functions
>   for Rurevayn. I would like to leave gcl-tk untouched, because
>   the gcl/tcl interaction would open an other can of worms. But
>   I'll give GTK/OpenGL a try, because designing a GUI with Glade
>   and having an OpenGL that can draw into a canvas would be nice.

Agreed.  Please keep us posted on your progress.

>   My next step is still to 'divorce' Richard's OpenGL from his
>   XLib bindings, and to marry them with xgcl-2 xlib bindings.

Great!  Are these 'better'?

>   I'll produce some more 'side effect patches', once this is
>   done, e.g. for ./configure.in to check for libraries. So in
>   result my lib should be able to detect that there is no OpenGL
>   and just build an xgcl lisp core, compatible with xgcl-2.
>   It would be nice to produce an xgclgtkgl lisp core, if this
>   autodetection is done by ./configure.in for GTK also.

I feel pretty strongly that we're going to have to start moving away
from the xblasgtktclmpi.....gcl image paradigm :-).  We need to have a
base system, and a bunch of autoloaded modules, I think, each enabling
the specified library interface.  We also probably need to resurect
'faslink' for this purpose, and/or put in dlopen hooks to the same
effect.

>   btw: xgcl - i just wondered that there is no xgcl in Debian ?

Mostly because I didn't want to proliferate the number of multiple meg
images until a module system is worked out, and because before you
I've only heard of one other user.  If you feel there is demand I
think providing such a capability in Debian would be great.

In general, I think what lisp needs is *new* large open-source
applications being currently developed in the language.  Perhaps the
main advantage of lisp over other similar languages like ML is its
long history and use in big projects now becoming open-source like
maxima, acl2, and axiom.  But it sure would be great for someone to
*start* an open-source (non-library, i.e. application) project in lisp
sometime soon.  Maybe it will be a graphics app!

>   reason, is probately that xlibs are only half checked in
>   ./configure.in - and that there is no make install in the
>   xgcl-2 directory preventing that they got installed by
>   the debian autobuild robot. I think I'll send you a patch
>   for both ./configure and xgcl-2 makefile if I understand
>   the existing code.

Would appreciate such pathces -- thanks!

Take care,