gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Compiling Maxima 5.9.0 on Mac OS X

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Compiling Maxima 5.9.0 on Mac OS X
Date: 04 Sep 2003 09:51:19 -0400

Greetings!

Aurelien Chanudet <address@hidden> writes:

> On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 23:37 Europe/Paris, Camm Maguire wrote:
>
> > Wonderful!  OK, please remind me when I get back to take care of that
> > ' '.  Your tests look a little slow -- do you agree?  Same takes 6.7
> > sec. on my box.  Can you try a conventional (non alt-link) build and
> > make check that too?  And at some pt acl2.  In any case we're past
> > ready to commit your changes!  Could you please post a patch?
> >
> > Take care,
>
> I've run them on a G3/500, which is not a cutting edge
> processor. However,
> it's true that my iBook running Debian is somewhat slower than my
> other iBook running Mac OS X...

That's interesting.  Can you run the powerpc Debian maxima .deb binary
and your build on the same hardware?  I'd be interested if the timing
results were very different.

The Debian ppc autobuilder gives the following for its maxima timings:

real time : 21.380 secs
run time  : 19.430 secs

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : 7400, altivec supported
temperature     : 27-29 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 500MHz
revision        : 2.9 (pvr 000c 0209)
bogomips        : 992.87

processor       : 1
cpu             : 7400, altivec supported
temperature     : 51-53 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 500MHz
revision        : 2.9 (pvr 000c 0209)
bogomips        : 992.87

total bogomips  : 1985.74
machine         : PowerMac3,3
motherboard     : PowerMac3,3 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as     : 65 (PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics)
pmac flags      : 00000004
L2 cache        : 1024K unified
memory          : 320MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld